Saturday, October 25, 2008

Three photos of the day: Inferno & Minimalism in Fashion Photography







Model: Tania, Films: Ilford & Kodak B/W 400, Style: Editorial Fashion Portraits
Bra and Pantie: Victoria's Secret





There are various ways to approach minimalism in fashion photography .
The minimalism could be embraced and exhibited in the aesthetics, or in expressions and mood/story or as a combination of both of these major elements.


*******************************************************************************



"Through me the way is to the city dolent;
Through me the way is to eternal dole;
Through me the way among the people lost.
***
Justice incited my sublime Creator;
Created me divine Omnipotence,
The highest Wisdom and the primal Love.
***
Before me there were no created things,
Only eterne, and I eternal last.
All hope abandon, ye who enter in!"
***
These words in sombre colour I beheld
Written upon the summit of a gate;
Whence I: "Their sense is, Master, hard to me!"
***
And he to me, as one experienced:
"Here all suspicion needs must be abandoned,
All cowardice must needs be here extinct.
***
We to the place have come, where I have told thee
Thou shalt behold the people dolorous
Who have foregone the good of intellect."
***
And after he had laid his hand on mine
With joyful mien, whence I was comforted,
He led me in among the secret things.
***
There sighs, complaints, and ululations loud
Resounded through the air without a star,
Whence I, at the beginning, wept thereat.
***
Languages diverse, horrible dialects,
Accents of anger, words of agony,
And voices high and hoarse, with sound of hands,
***
Made up a tumult that goes whirling on
For ever in that air for ever black,
Even as the sand doth, when the whirlwind breathes.
***
And I, who had my head with horror bound,
Said: "Master, what is this which now I hear?
What folk is this, which seems by pain so vanquished?"
***
And he to me: "This miserable mode
Maintain the melancholy souls of those
Who lived withouten infamy or praise.
***
Commingled are they with that caitiff choir
Of Angels, who have not rebellious been,
Nor faithful were to God, but were for self.
***
The heavens expelled them, not to be less fair;
Nor them the nethermore abyss receives,
For glory none the damned would have from them."
***
And I: "O Master, what so grievous is
To these, that maketh them lament so sore?"
He answered: "I will tell thee very briefly.
***
These have no longer any hope of death;
And this blind life of theirs is so debased,
They envious are of every other fate.
***
No fame of them the world permits to be;
Misericord and Justice both disdain them.
Let us not speak of them, but look, and pass."
***
And I, who looked again, beheld a banner,
Which, whirling round, ran on so rapidly,
That of all pause it seemed to me indignant;
***
And after it there came so long a train
Of people, that I ne'er would have believed
That ever Death so many had undone.
***
When some among them I had recognised,
I looked, and I beheld the shade of him
Who made through cowardice the great refusal.
***
Forthwith I comprehended, and was certain,
That this the sect was of the caitiff wretches
Hateful to God and to his enemies.
***
These miscreants, who never were alive,
Were naked, and were stung exceedingly
By gadflies and by hornets that were there.
***
These did their faces irrigate with blood,
Which, with their tears commingled, at their feet
By the disgusting worms was gathered up.
***
And when to gazing farther I betook me.
People I saw on a great river's bank;
Whence said I: "Master, now vouchsafe to me,
***
That I may know who these are, and what law
Makes them appear so ready to pass over,
As I discern athwart the dusky light."
***
And he to me: "These things shall all be known
To thee, as soon as we our footsteps stay
Upon the dismal shore of Acheron."
***
Then with mine eyes ashamed and downward cast,
Fearing my words might irksome be to him,
From speech refrained I till we reached the river.
***
And lo! towards us coming in a boat
An old man, hoary with the hair of eld,
Crying: "Woe unto you, ye souls depraved!
***
Hope nevermore to look upon the heavens;
I come to lead you to the other shore,
To the eternal shades in heat and frost.
***
And thou, that yonder standest, living soul,
Withdraw thee from these people, who are dead!"
But when he saw that I did not withdraw,
***
He said: "By other ways, by other ports
Thou to the shore shalt come, not here, for passage;
A lighter vessel needs must carry thee."
***
And unto him the Guide: "Vex thee not,
Charon; It is so willed there where is power to do
That which is willed; and farther question not."
***
Thereat were quieted the fleecy cheeks
Of him the ferryman of the livid fen,
Who round about his eyes had wheels of flame.
***
But all those souls who weary were and naked
Their colour changed and gnashed their teeth together,
As soon as they had heard those cruel words.
***
God they blasphemed and their progenitors,
The human race, the place, the time, the seed
Of their engendering and of their birth!
***
Thereafter all together they drew back,
Bitterly weeping, to the accursed shore,
Which waiteth every man who fears not God.
***
Charon the demon, with the eyes of glede,
Beckoning to them, collects them all together,
Beats with his oar whoever lags behind.
***
As in the autumn-time the leaves fall off,
First one and then another, till the branch
Unto the earth surrenders all its spoils;
***
In similar wise the evil seed of Adam
Throw themselves from that margin one by one,
At signals, as a bird unto its lure.
***
So they depart across the dusky wave,
And ere upon the other side they land,
Again on this side a new troop assembles.
***
"My son," the courteous Master said to me,
"All those who perish in the wrath of God
Here meet together out of every land;
***
And ready are they to pass o'er the river,
Because celestial Justice spurs them on,
So that their fear is turned into desire.
***
This way there never passes a good soul;
And hence if Charon doth complain of thee,
Well mayst thou know now what his speech imports."
***
This being finished, all the dusk champaign
Trembled so violently, that of that terror
The recollection bathes me still with sweat.
***
The land of tears gave forth a blast of wind,
And fulminated a vermilion light,
Which overmastered in me every sense,
***
And as a man whom sleep hath seized I fell.


Inferno: Canto III - The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri







Cheers

Wolf189
http://www.wolf189.com/
Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Phoenix, New York City

No comments: